Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Are you going to Hoggetowne Faire?

There's so little to write, so much time with which to write it! Wait - scratch that, reverse it.

I have so much to talk about since I have been the ultimate slacker. I was pretty much the Ally Sheedy of bloggers (get it? Since I pretty much fell off the face of the earth for the last 6 months). But I am back, and ready to fill you all in on the goings-on of my life since I've been away. And don't worry, there is much to tell- more crazy stories about my mom, weddings, deaths, births - *sigh* I almost don't know where to start.

How about what has been taking up most of my free time? The Hoggetowne medieval faire. Last year I did a show, A Midsummer Night's Dream, with several people who were apart of a group in Gainesville called the Thieves' Guilde. (And no, they don't go around stealing stuff - that wold be illegal, but pretty cool). The group does the human chessboard (think wizards' chess) at the faire every year. They're not SCA - it's mainly just getting to do some cool fights in costumes that look vaguely medieval. Mike, who played Oberon, called me asking if I would be his stage manager, which I had to refuse because it was too much to try drive to Gville every weekend. Well he called me again later and asked if I would be costume coordinator, which didn't have much of a time commitment, and so I said yes, much to my chagrin now.

I don't know why I said yes - I don't know how to sew, but he said that wouldn't be a problem - it was mainly just making sure people stuck to the color schemes we set for each side. Easy, right? I have never felt so stupid in my life - seriously. People asked me a million questions about sewing, none of which I could really answer. But I'm glad I agreed, because I also ended up auditioning and getting a lead role. I am playing Morgause - head bitch on the black side. This year is Mordred and Morgause v. Arthur and Guinevere - and it looks like the show will be good. If you don't know the story - basically, I am Arthur's sister, and our child (yes, OUR child) is Mordred, who is hell-bent on killing Arthur and overtaking the crown. I am basically Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair, with a bit of Medea (old Greek legend - not the black woman) thrown in for good measure. It's all about climbing the social ladder for me. Sounds like fun, right?

I've got a kickass dress being made, and just dyed my hair black for the role. Also? I've been making the banners, Guinevere's crown (I'll try to post pics), and the black side crowns that will be made of wire and sausage casing (which dries to look like skin - it's wicked). So if anyone is in the area - you should come see me. It's the last two weekends in January at the Alachua County Fairgrouds. I think it's a $10 admission fee. *correction - it's $12 to get in*

No comments: